Are you also one of those who dread making a visit to a dentist in Puyallup? Or are you ready to endure the toothache, but not visit a dentist? Then, you need not feel embarrassed. You are not the only one! There are a lot of people who fear going to the dentists and prefer not having any treatment. The sight of a man with tools in his hands, is quite an unpleasant one and enough to give you chills.
But, with the change in time and coming of sedation dentistry, there is nothing to feel anxious. With this technique, from simple tooth cleaning to invasive procedures, everything has become painless. Curious to know more about it?
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is a type of dental procedure that provides faster, pain and anxiety free experience through the use of sedatives. There are numerous ways to sedate a person using sedative drugs such as nitrous oxide, depressants, tranquillizers and anti-anxiety medications.
It is also referred as “sleep dentistry,” although that’s not entirely accurate. The four levels of sedation are:
1. Minimal sedation: In this stage you are awake but calm.
2. Moderate sedation: In this stage you may slur your words and not remember much of the dentistry procedure.
3. Deep sedation: In this stage you are on the edge of cognizance, but still awake.
4. General anesthesia: In this stage you are completely unconscious.
Who is eligible for sedation dentistry?
Generally speaking, sedation dentistry is meant for anyone who wants a fast, comfortable, painless and anxiety free dental care. Read below to know about people who qualify for the sedation dentistry:
1. People with dental phobia and anxiety. The sight of dental tools makes them uncomfortable and being around a dentist’s office makes them nauseous.
2. People who suffer from medical conditions that involves difficulty in controlling their movements. For example, someone with Cerebral Palsy or Parkinson’s disease.
3. If you are going in for multiple, painful and complex dental procedures like tooth extraction or gum surgery, you are eligible for sedation dentistry.
4. Aging and elderly people are very much eligible for this.
5. Children are also eligible for sedation dentistry. We all know how uncooperative, anxious and restless children can get. To avoid any harm coming to them during any dental procedure, they will need sedation.
6. People who can only spare a little time for all their dental procedures due to a tight schedule.
Myths and misconceptions about sedation dentistry
There are various myths and misconceptions surrounding sedation dentistry which you need to be clear about. Below are some of them.
- There are dangers associated with sedation dentistry. This is false. Although this technique is quite new, it is absolutely safe as long as it is administered by a certified professional.
- Sedation therapy does not work for extremely anxious patients. This is so not true. This is one of the safest methods and quite reliable for the anxious patients as it can relax them.
- You will sleep throughout the procedure when sedation dentistry is administered. As a matter of fact, patients can be awake throughout the procedure. Although it makes a patient feel sleepy and they are unable to feel the pain during the procedure, it doesn’t necessarily imply that patients will fall asleep whenever it is administered.
- There are rare procedures where sedation therapy does not work. Sedation dentistry works for all procedures you can think of undergoing at the dentist.
- Sedation dentistry is too expensive. Rather, it will save you money which you’ll spend if the tooth damage is not treated early enough. You do not have to skip dentist appointments due to the time factor. Save time, complete all procedure in just one visit.
Don’t let fear of visiting the dentist affect your oral well-being. If you know somebody who has the same fear as yours, share this article with them. You never know, this might give them the confidence to smile.